The total number of COVID-19 cases surpassed 1000 mark and the virus claimed 27 lives so far in India according to the Health Ministry.
The virus has infected 685,467 people and claimed 32,156 lives across the world as on March 29th, 2020.
Meanwhile, the nationwide lockdown is wreaking havoc on thousands of migrant workers in the country’s metro cities, especially New Delhi. “You fear the disease. But I fear hunger more, not corona,” said one of the migrant workers fleeing from the national capital to his hometown in Uttar Pradesh as quoted by the Business Standard.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi today in the Mann Ki baat programme today spoke about the 21-day nationwide lockdown to stem the spread of coronavirus. He apologised for the inconvenience caused to citizens but urged them to follow the lockdown and not take the situation lightly.
Here are top 20 points:
- Total number of COVID-19 positive cases rise to 1024 in India including 901 active cases, 96 cured/ discharged/ migrated people and 27 deaths
- Assam has converted three state-run medical college and hospitals including the Gauhati Medical College and Hospital and Assam Medical College for treatment of coronavirus patients. However, Assam has not registered any case to date.
- The Northeast India has reported only two cases – one each in Manipur and Mizoram.
- In Delhi, 23 fresh coronavirus cases reported today. Total number of positive cases rises to 72.
- In West Bengal, the number of positive cases rose to 20 with two more persons tested positive
- Total number of positive coronavirus cases climbed to 63 in Gujarat with five fresh cases
- In Bihar, four new positive cases reported at Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College & Hospital in Bhagalpur today. Total number of positive cases in the state rises to 15.
- Death toll in Maharashtra rose to eight after two new deaths reported.
- Positive cases in Maharashtra surpassed 203 after 22 new cases today (10 from Mumbai, 5 from Pune, three from Nagpur, two from Ahmednagar & one each from Sangli, Buldhana and Jalgaon) reported. However, 35 patients recovered and discharged till date.
- A total of 3260 persons have been kept under home quarantine while 307 are in hospital quarantine. 2163 persons are under home surveillance, 735 persons have completed their 28-day surveillance period. 588 samples sent for testing of which 542 tested negative, 8 reports awaited: J&K government.
- Adani Foundation announced a financial aid of Rs 100 crore to the PM Cares Fund for combating COVID-19
- Conress national general secretary Priyanka Gandhi Vadra wrote to Mukesh Ambani (Jio), Kumar Mangalam Birla (Vodafone-Idea), PK Purwar (BSNL) and Sunil Bharti Mittal (Airtel) urging them to make incoming-outgoing calls free on their networks, for one month, for migrants amid lockdown
- Around 200 workers from West Bengal are stranded in Kottayam, Kerala.
- Uttarakhand Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat said that there is adequate supply of essential goods in the state. “We will not let anyone in the state go hungry,” he added.
- Over 10,000 people died of coronavirus in Italy followed by 6528 in Spain and 3300 in China.
Photo credit: The Economic Times