Distancing himself from the statements of two leaders who announced the launch of the ‘Manipur Government in exile’ in London, Manipur’s erstwhile king Leishemba Sanajaoba on October 30th, 2019 said he was “totally shocked” when he first heard about this news, as reported by Hindustan Times.
In a video message in Meitei language, Sanajaoba “condemned” the statements of two separatists for “dragging his name”.
Earlier in the day today, two Manipur dissident leaders – Yamben Biren and Narengbam Samarjit, who claim to represent King Leishemba Sanajaoba, – have announced the launch of a “Manipur government in exile” in London on October 29, 2019, PTI reported.
Biren, claiming to be the ‘Chief Minister of Manipur State Council’ and Samarjit, claiming to be the ‘Minister of External Affairs and Defence of Manipur State Council’ addressed a press conference in London and said that they were speaking on behalf of ‘Maharaja of Manipur’ to formally launch the government in exile — ‘The Manipur State Council’. The video of the press conference went viral on social media.
However, Sanajaoba mentioned that he did sign some papers at the request of the duo but was told that the papers are related to carrying out research into historical documents and photographs in London.
On the other hand, Manipur Chief Minister N Biren Singh on October 30th, 2019 said that a case has been registered against the two separatists setting up Manipur’s ‘government-in-exile’ in the UK for ‘waging a war against the state’. The matter has been handed over to the crime branch for investigation, Singh was quoted as saying by news agency ANI. The case will be later handed over to the National Investigation Agency.
Photo credit: @ManipurTimes