The Election Commission of India (ECI) has decided to extend the period of completion of Electors Verification Programme (EVP) due to its slow progress across the country. The period of verification has been extended upto November 18th, 2019. Earlier, it was October 15th, 2019.
The ECI has launched the new mega EVP, which seeks to update electoral rolls through crowdsourcing, was launched on September 1st,2019 across the country.
The Commission has reviewed the progress of th EVP in the last one month. It has been observed that the progress of the EVP is considerable slow and verification/authentication of large number of electors is yet to be done.
Large numbers of Forms are also being received for inclusion/deletion/correction, which is to be disposed of before draft publication. The changed schedule is applicable in all states except Haryana, Jharkhand, Maharashtra and Jammu & Kashmir.
As general election to the Legislative Assembly of Delhi is due in the first quarter of the next year, the completion schedule has been extended upto October 31st, 2019.
The ECI would verify the entire updated list and later would release the final list of verified voters. The entire exercise aims at bringing transparency and updating the list of verified voters.
What is EVP
Under the programme, a voter from each family will get a username and password, allowing a person to upload all documents related to electoral registration and tag similar details about his or her family members.
The main aim of the programme is to improve the health of Electoral rolls and to provide better electoral services to citizens and increase the level of communication between voters and the Commission.
How to verify
- Verification and corrections of the existing details
- Authentication of entry by furnishing scanned/DigiLocker copy of one of the following documents: (i) Indian Passport (ii) Driving License (iii) Aadhaar Card (iv) Ration Card (v) identity card for Government/Semi-Government Officials (vi) Bank Passbooks (vii) Farmer’s Identity Card (viii) PAN Card (ix) Smart Card issued by RGI (x) Latest bill for water/electricity/telephone/gas connection
- Furnishing details of family members and verifying their entries too
- Updating details of family members already enrolled as voters but permanently shifted or expired
- Furnishing details of eligible un-enrolled family members (born on or before 01.01.2001) and prospective electors born between (02.01.2002 till 01.01.2003) who are residing with the elector
- Furnishing GIS Coordinates of House (through Mobile App) to avail better electoral Services
- Feedback regarding existing Polling Stations and suggestions on alternate PS, if any
The one-time authentication of details and sharing contact detail would help electors to get an update of online application status, the status of EPIC, Election Day announcement, voter slip on their registered email and mobile number. Regular notification on modifications on Serial No. and details of Polling Station, Change in BLO/ ERO, all information related to Polling Station will also be shared with the Electors.
Photo credit: www.nvsp.in