The Guwahati police has made heavy bandobast to prevent any untoward incident, mishaps ahead of one of the largest festivals of the Hindus, Durgotsava in the city.
From checking of installation of CCTV cameras at the pandals to enforcing traffic regulations and parking restrictions, the city police is keeping a hawk-eye on all the movements.
A meeting on the safety and security measures was recently convened by the Central District Police with all Durga Puja Committee at Panbazar Police Station which was preceded by DCP Central Ripul Das, ADCP Central Gunindra Deka, ACP Panbazar Prahari Kowar and other officials.
In the meeting, a host of precautionary measures for a safe celebration of the festivity were suggested which includes:
- Full details of the vendors permitted to open stalls in the Puja venue for food and other items to be obtained. They should be issued identity cards/passes by the Puja Committees.
- Deployment of volunteers by the puja committees to manage the crowd. They should remain alert and look for suspicious objects.
- The local police and volunteers to be briefed to guard puja mandaps round-the-clock in close liaison.
- Installation of CCTV cameras in the respective pandals along with a full-fledged control room.
- Formation and activation of the peace committee in all Police Stations with special emphasis on communally sensitive locations.
- Fitness certificate of the Puja mandaps to be obtained from PWD(B).
- Adequate firefighting, safety arrangements should be ensured in all puja pandals.
- Deployment of at least one constable, home guard at each pandal to maintain watch over criminals in the crowd.
- Effective regulation of vehicles and smooth movement of traffic during Puja days and vigilance to be mounted in market areas.
- Ensuring anti-riot teams are positioned as per riot drill equipment.
- Special checking of vehicles, maintaining strong vigil at bus stands, railway stations.
- Activate effective QRTs with motivated and well-informed police personnel.
- Strict access control, anti-sabotage checks to be implemented prior to their visit.
- Functioning of the police control room with its telephone numbers 100/2461556/2464557/9127801077 to function round the clock.
- Strong action against rumour-mongers and countering such moves.
- Special checking of vehicles should be carried out.
- No intoxicated persons to be put in charge for the responsibility of the puja mandaps.
- Special arrangements to be made to prevent snatching of ornaments/valuables and also to arrest pick-pocketers in crowded places.
- Arrangments of lighting and placement of rescue team/divers be made at immersion sites.
Photo credit: tripsavvy.com