12.5 C
Guwahati
Saturday, January 29, 2022
More

    Meghalaya Sends Back Over 200 People To Assam Since Publication Of Final NRC

    Conrad Sangma said a total of 30 check gates and checkpoints have been installed in different districts to prevent possible infiltration

    The Meghalaya government on September 10th, 2019, stated in the state legislative assembly that a total of 223 people have been sent back to Assam so far since the publication of the final National Register of Citizens (NRC) list. “They were sent back to their place of origin since they had failed to produce original valid documents,” Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma said in a statement.

    Sangma also stated that a total of 30 check gates and check points have been installed in different districts to prevent possible infiltration after the final NRC list was published.

    This statement was tabled in the Meghalaya Assembly after the Union Home Minister Amit Shah had assured the people of the Northeast on September 9th, 2019, to make the entire country intruder-free. In the recently held North East Democratic Alliance (NEDA) convention, Sangma told Amit Shah that the people of the state were under fear of possible infiltration of those excluded from the NRC list.

    The final NRC was officially released on August 31st, 2019 after a six-year-long process. The updation process was started in 2013 after the Supreme Court had promulgated an order. The final list included a total of 3, 11,21, 004 persons and excluded 19,06,657 persons including those who did not submit claims. It may be mentioned that the final draft NRC, which was published in 2018, excluded over 40 lakh people.

    Photo: TIME8

    Published:

    Follow TIME8.IN on TWITTER, INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK and on YOUTUBE to stay in the know with what’s happening in the world around you – in real time

    First published

    ট্ৰেণ্ডিং