Tripura Chief Minister Biplab Kumar Deb has been on the limelight for a lot of things he said that didn’t make any sense. Being the first BJP CM of the state, all eyes were on him since he was elected in the year 2014. He has made a series half baked statements transcending logic and facts that have made him a laughing stock.
Let’s have a look at the times when he made us go bonkers with his not so cool opinions and mindless statements.
- Recently, in a video that went viral on social media. He was seen purportedly saying that the National Register of Citizens (NRC) revision in his state will cost him his CMship. Deb said that his father and his relatives are from Bangladesh and if NRC is implemented in his state, he would be among the firsts to be affected by it as he will lose his chair of Chief Minister.
- Earlier this month, Deb blamed the Mughals of trying to destroy the cultural wonders of Tripura. He said, “Tripura has enough wonders still unknown to people… Mughals intended to destroy the culture of Tripura by bombing the arts and architectures.”
- Deb’s racist mind felt that only Aishwarya Rai is a good representation of Indian beauty and crowning Diana Hayden Miss World was nothing but a market strategy. He said, “Indian beauty should ideally look like Goddess Lakshmi and Saraswati. Diana Hayden didn’t deserve the Miss World crown.”
- In 2018, while addressing a regional workshop, Deb came up with the weirdest fact of all times. He claimed that the internet existed during the times of Mahabharata, and using the technology, Sanjay narrated the war of Kurukshetra to the blind king, Dhritarashtra.
- If the Mahabharata fiasco was not enough, he came up career advice for engineers. He said that one shouldn’t opt for civil services after studying mechanical engineering. Civil engineers have the knowledge to help build a society and administration.
- Deb definitely needs a fact check. The time when he said that Rabindranath Tagore had returned the Nobel prize in protest against the British. The truth is, Tagore rejected the knighthood bestowed on him by the Queen after the Jallianwala Bagh massacre.
- Deb has supernatural powers I guess because this statement of his completely goes with today’s Central government. “Nobody points fingers at my government or scratches nails over it. Anyone who scratches it, their nails will be chopped off.”
- From being a career advisor engineering students to the youth, Deb has it all. He was once seen saying in a seminar that “Every household should have a cow. Milk is being sold at Rs 50 per litre in Tripura. If a graduate, who keeps job hunting for 10 years, rears a cow, he would earn Rs 10 lakh.”
- In another instance, he shared his opinion that youth should stop running after politicians for government jobs. Instead of running after and wasting their vital time, they could earn Rs 5 lakh if they would set up a paan shop.
Phew! That was one task of compiling the bizarre statements of this BJP leader and if you happen to come across more such statements by him, do let us know.
Photo credit: swarajyamag.com