Guwahati: The second wave of flood in Assam claimed the lives of three more persons taking the death toll to 67 on July 22nd, 2019. The water levels in all districts are receding, as per the Assam State Disaster Management Authority (ASDMA)’s daily flood bulletin.
A total of 2,283 number of villages in 59 revenue circles of 18 number of districts viz. Dhemaji, Biswanath, Darrang, Barpeta, Nalbari, Chirang, Bongaigaon, Kokrajhar, Dhubri, South Salmara, Goalpara, Kamrup, Kamrup (M), Morigaon, Nagaon, Golaghat, Jorhat and Cachar, are reeling under flood waters affecting over 30.55 lakh people.
Check out Top 10 major developments:
- 199 animals have died till now including 17 rhinoceros as flood ravages Kaziranga National Park.
- No animal death has been reported so far from the Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Altogether 96,890 displaced persons are sheltered in 757 relief camps and relief distribution centres set up by district administrations. Presently, 644 numbers of relief camps are operational in the districts of Dhemaji, Biswanath, Darrang, Barpeta, Chirang, Bongaigaon, Kokrajhar, Dhubri, Goalpara, Kamrup, Morigaon, Nagaon, Golaghat and Jorhat districts with 96,890 inmates and 113 Relief Distribution Centres are operating in the districts of Darrang, Barpeta, Dhubri, Kamrup, Morigaon and Golaghat.
- A total of 2,283 villages and 1.14 lakh hectares of agricultural fields are still inundated by floodwaters.
- Vegetable prices have skyrocketed in the markets of Assam over the past couple of weeks as floods continue to ravage lakhs of hectares of cropland.
- Deputy Commissioner, Hailakandi, Keerthi Jalli asked all the concerned departments to remain in a state of preparedness for the next wave of flood.
- The Brahmaputra at Neamatighat (Jorhat) and Dhubri and Jia Bharali at N.T. Road Xing (Sonitpur) are flowing above the danger level.
- Severe erosion washed away a 70-year-old embankment on July 23rd, 2019 in Assam’s Kaliabor.
- Noted sculptor Biren Singha donated an amount of ₹ 1 lakh to the Chief Minister’s Relief Fund.
- Assam’s singing sensation Zubeen Garg along with his fans and other artistes took out a rally-cum-donation drive in Guwahati on July 23rd, 2019.