A high level committee on Clause 6 of the Assam Accord has requested all stakeholders, social organizations and the individuals of the state to give their comments, suggestions and views in respect of the clause. The committee requested to submit their comments, suggestions and views on or before September 20th, 2019.
The notification also stated that people, who desire to be heard in
The High Level Committee requests all the stakeholders, social organizations, individuals etc to give their views, comments, suggestions on measures to be taken as regards the following:
- Reservation of seats in parliament, Assam Legislative Assembly and local bodies for the indigenous tribal, indigenous Assamese and other indigenous people of Assam
- Protection of Assamese and other indigenous languages of Assam
- Reservation in employment under the Government of Assam, Central Government, semi-central government, central PSUs and private sector in Assam
- Any other measures for protection, preservation and promotion of cultural, social, linguistic identity and heritage of indigenous tribal, indigenous Assamese and other indigenous people of Assam
- Protection of land rights of indigenous tribal, indigenous Assamese and other indigenous people of Assam.
Clause 6 of the Accord deals with granting constitutional, legislative and administrative safeguards to the Assamese people to protect, preserve and promote the cultural, social, linguistic identity and heritage. The accord was signed in 1985 between the Rajiv Gandhi government and the All Assam Students’ Union (AASU) and All Assam Gana Sangram Parishad (AAGSP).
Guwahati | Edited by: Mukut Das