Assam Police on March 26th, 2020 announced a new pass system – Essential Service Pass – to regulate the movement of people in the state during the three-week lock-down period to contain the spread of novel coronavirus (COVID-19).
The new system is aimed at easing the movement of people associated with essential services. The passes would be given for a limited number of people after ascertaining the need for issuing such a pass.
“Please approach the Nodal Officers of the local police station/ local police outpost for the pass,” as per an Assam Police notification. Till the time, the passes are issued, ID cards issued by offices and organisations will be excepted.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi declared a complete three-week nationwide lockdown starting midnight of March 24th, 2020 emphasis that it was the only way of breaking the COVID-19 infection cycle.
All transport services – air, rail and roadways – will remain suspended until April 14th, 2020. Banks, ATMs, petrol pumps, hospitals and grocery shops have been exempted from the lockdown.
List of people eligible for passes:
- Police/ Home Guards & Civil Defence/ Fire and Emergency services/ Defence Personnel/ Armed Police Personnel/ and their transportation (personnel in uniform need not procure a pass)
- District Administration/ Treasury/ National Informatics centre/ Disaster Management/ Early warning agencies/ Prison services
- Hospitals/Medical establishments/ Dispensaries/ Pharmacies/ Laboratories/ Ambulance
- Forest dept staff engaged in emergency duties like zoo, nurseries, wildlife. firefighting in forests, watering plantations, patrolling
- Social welfare dept staff for children homes, disabled, senior citizens. destitute, women, widows, observation homes
- Electricity/ Power Generation & Transmission/ Water Supply/ Sanitation Establishments in Petroleum/ CNG/ LPG/ PNG sectors
- Telecom/ Internet/cable services/ Post Offices
- Banks, ATMs, cash management agencies and Insurance offices
- Private security guards & agencies
- Shops dealing with food, groceries, fruits & vegetables, dairy & milk booths. meat & fish, animal fodder and their manufacture/ transportation
- Shops of seeds and pesticides
- Petrol pumps, LPG retail outlets and storage godowns
- Print and electronic media