The Assam government has announced that all museums, libraries, coaching centres, beauty parlours and barbershops till March 31st, 2020 in view of the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak in the country and abroad.
Though no positive COVID-19 case has been reported in the state till date, Assam health minister Himanta Biswa Sarma said that the government is constantly monitoring and reviewing the evolving situation.
“We will take all necessary steps to protect and safeguard public health,” he tweeted.
The Health Minister chaired a meeting through video conferencing with all deputy commissioners (DCs) of the state and directed them to take all measures to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus.
Here are the top 10 updates:
- The Assam government directed the DCs to start the thermal screening process of all the passengers landing in the state from other states at all the airports, railway stations and other land ports in the bordering areas of Bhutan and Bangladesh.
- The government directed the DCs to take strict actions to prevent hoarding of essential things in their respective.
- The government has ordered the closure of all liquor bars, country liquor bars, night clubs, beauty parlours and salon (unisex) in the state with immediate effect to contain the spread of deadly novel coronavirus.
- The Assam Excise department has directed all DCs and Superintendent of Excise of all districts to shut down all Indian Made Foreign Liquor shops, which will remain closed till March 31st, 2020 with immediate effect.
- A South Korean has been quarantined in his hotel room in Dhemaji district of Assam in the wake of the novel coronavirus outbreak.
- The government appealed to the citizens to ensure not more than 10 people attend a puja, namaaz. Sarma urged people, if possible, to offer prayers is offered at home, and marriage is held sans guests to stop infected people from spreading the lethal virus.
- The Assam government has shut all its tiger reserves, national parks, wildlife sanctuaries and the Assam State Zoo-cum-Botanical Garden till March 29th, 2020 as part of its preparation to stop the spread of coronavirus.
- The government has also suspended all permissions granted for film shootings and research works in the wildlife spots till March 29th, 2020.
- Schools, colleges, universities, movie halls, gyms and swimming pools will remain closed till March 31st, 2020 to prevent the spread of the deadly virus.
- As a precautionary measure and on the basis of instructions received from MHRD, CBSE has decided to reschedule ongoing board exams.
Photo credit: @himantabiswa