Assam Education Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma on January 25th, 2020 said that the state government will fill 15,000 posts in the next six months. An advertisement to fill up 9635 regular posts has already been issued by the Director of Elementary Education and the recruitments will be done by March 31st of this year.
Sarma also added that a fresh advertisement to fill up 6000 fresh vacancies will also be issued within 30 days time with the number of posts counting to 15,000 in the next six months.
He informed that around 8000 posts will be filled after the announcement of the results of the Teacher Eligibility Test(TET) for Secondary Education this February.
Presenting the action plan, the Minister pointed out a number of steps planned by the government for smooth functioning and improvement of the state education department.
He said that the government is considering provincialization of 4993 schools with 13362 teachers at the elementary level, 626 schools with 4828 teachers at secondary level & 30 new colleges with 900 teachers posts at higher education level along with 168 posts in 134 already provincialized colleges. He added that 665 posts of faculties will be recruited at the college level and the Principals of colleges will have the authority to fill the vacant posts in the next 6 months.
Some of the other highlights include:
- Issues of job security, pay disparity & health for contractual teachers to be addressed.
- Introduction of Science stream in colleges, setting up of 100 high schools in tea gardens and upgradation of high schools to higher secondary schools will be important measures to be taken within next 6 months.
- Issues of illegal/irregular teachers in the Elementary Education Department to be undertaken.
- An amount of Rs 962.93 crore will be released to SMDC for construction of Additional Classrooms in 10702 schools in 13564 units, partition wall in 7813 schools in 10472 units, boys toilets in 1379 schools and for electrification in 37560 schools.
- For the Higher Education Department, various new colleges, universities, higher and technical schools/ colleges, Law and B.Ed colleges will be established within 6 months.
Photo Credit: @HimantaBiswaSarma